Translate

Friday, March 14, 2014

Let's Go Out To The Theater: Welcome To Night Vale Live: The Librarian

Alo Party Peoples.

I own this poster now.
After much anticipation, group podcast listening, and a four hour drive to Houston, I have just seen the Welcome To Night Vale Live show. I had a wonderful time. 

For those not familiar with it, Welcome To Night Vale is a horror/comedy podcast. It is quite popular, for a few months it was the most popular podcast in America, and yet it is still quite niche. It is presented as a community radio news program in a fictional town of the same name in the American Southwest. The daily news happenings in Night Vale aren't exactly normal. In the past I've described it as "a town where all conspiracy theories are true. As well as all myths, religions, and urban legends."

I enjoy it, and millions of other people also enjoy it. Or at least enough people for them to do live tours across the U.S., and I managed to talk my parents into letting me see one. Unfortunately, by the time I was aware of one in Dallas, it was sold out. Fortunately, there was one in Houston. So we drove 275 miles to see it. How was it? I had a good time.

There is continuity to worry about, but fortunately, the only episode that you would need to listen to beforehand is Summer Reading Program. I would explain why, but I don't want to spoil it for you, and it isn't really necessary in order to enjoy the show. Short version, one of the Librarians has escaped during renovations of the Night Vale Public Library, and NVPL Librarians are predatory beasts. Hi-jinks ensue.

It really is a nice experience. With live musical weather reports, audience participation, and one particular bit where the librarian is loose in a theater. Because none of NVCR's listeners would be so pathetic as to watch live theater, right? The musical guest of the weather section, who in Houston at least was Eliza Rickman, was unique. Not my favorite weather guest by any means, but my father certainly enjoyed her music. Incidentally, my favorite weather guest would be a tie between Jack Campbell and The Mendoza Line.

If you aren't in a city where they are doing a show, well they said that they would eventually release it as a podcast episode. So be patient.

That's all for now, so goodnight readers, goodnight.

Greg.B

And to my mother. Yes, people showed up in costumes. Four Hooded Figures, two instances of Carlos the Scientist, one Cecil, Mayor Pamela Winchell, three Eternal Scouts, a Man in a Tan Jacket, and a few NVCR interns.

No comments:

Post a Comment