Translate

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Archivis News Update 3-12-13

Alo Party Peoples.

This is probably going to be my last article before my trip to Houston for the Night Vale live show, so let's get straight to the news.

SOME INSPIRATIONAL MUSIC

Since starting this blog I've realized something. Writing relevant sounding stuff that's actually relevant is hard. Poor executive function (look it up) doesn't make that any easier. So whenever it ends up taking me an hour to find a quote that should have taken me at most 14 minutes to find, I just think of this song here, it really helps. Yes, the opening for a Star Trek series. And the one that, by all accounts, is infamous among fans for supposedly killing the franchise on television. Regardless of the show's infamy, this intro sequence is just beautiful. It might use the word "faith" a few too many times for my tastes, but I still think it works.
It's inspiring, a message that I support.

That mankind can do anything, go anywhere, reach any star. That our capacity for reason, regardless of whether it comes from gods, or from evolutionary chance, it can light the way to a better future. That even if it looks like the world is ending now, eventually we'll work all this stuff out, and we will finally get here to there.================>

Then I think of how we seem to have all but abandoned space anywhere further away than low orbit. And that perhaps if there is a God watching, they might as well do this, and most of humanity wouldn't care. But that doesn't mean that this song isn't good. :)

MY OPINION ON A FEW MOVIES

Elysium (2013): It's an admirable effort. It starts out strong, but struggles to find an emotional core, and it doesn't quite stick the landing.

The Artist (2011): Pretty good overall. It handles it's gimmick of being made in the style of Hollywood films at the end of the Silent Era well, and the actors are expressive enough that you don't need to hear their dialogue in order to follow the story. However, aside from one particular scene, which I won't spoil, it doesn't really do anything with that gimmick, and it didn't have to be a silent film.

Serenity (2005): It was pretty good. For compressing a the story of a season of a television show into one movie, I think it did a nice job. But you can tell that Whedon had more planned for these characters that he just couldn't fit into the film. I am aware that the franchise has continued in comic form, and if someone ever decided to revive it, I would certainly talk about it here.

Rubber (2011): It's damn weird. A description of the premise should serve as a good indicator of whether this is something you would enjoy. A telekinetic car tire named Robert goes on a killing spree in the middle of the American southwest. No, they don't explain why there is a telekinetic car tire.

That's all for now. Next time, I'll be talking about Night Vale. Probably.

Goodnight readers. Goodnight.

Greg.B

No comments:

Post a Comment