Translate

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Coming Soon, To Your Theaters And My Blogs!

Alo Party Peoples

Sorry that I didn't get a movie review out this month. I was getting distracted, and I just kept pushing it back. Instead, we're going to take a look at some movie trailers. Specifically, films that I promised I would cover on this blog, at least the ones that have trailers, unless I missed something, I don't think that The Giver or the next Hobbit movie have trailers out yet. Let's get started.

Noah (March 28)

This actually looks kind of cool. If anyone in my reader base doesn't have familiarity with it already, this film is based on the Genesis flood narrative native to the Abrahamic religions, i.e. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Short version, God gets fed up with our corrupting of his perfect world with our continuing to sin, so he sends a flood to destroy all creation. He tells a man named Noah about his plans, and also gives him specific instructions on how to build a massive boat to fill with two of every animal so that something will survive. He does so, forty days and forty nights later the flood ends and Noah's family repopulates the Earth.

This movie version looks less like Sunday school and more like Lord Of The Rings, adding in a siege of the ark by people desperate to survive the flood, and it's kind of awesome. Does that statement make me a heretic if I was never very religious to begin with?

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (April 4)

I am biased in favor of Marvel Studios, I've enjoyed their output in the past, and while one episode of Shield was a slight disappointment, they have yet to make something that I genuinely hate. This is no exception. It looks like they are moving the Captain America branch of the MCU from the throwback WWII-era pulp adventure style of First Avenger, to something closer to the Jason Bourne films. I've had suspicions that the film may or may not have something to do with Agents of Shield, maybe that show is setting up something that will play out here. Maybe that's why it's been off to such a slow start.

Godzilla (May 16)


This looks pretty good. Maybe it will displace the memory of the 1998 film. This is Bryan Cranston's first big role after Breaking Bad, we will see how this shakes out. My only real concern is that a modern Godzilla will feel underwhelming after Pacific Rim, which if nothing else was a damn entertaining ride. We don't see very much of the monster here, so maybe they're trying to hide something.






X-Men: Days Of Future Past (May 23)

I don't have very much to say other than it doesn't look especially good or bad, and that it's returning to the bluish-grey visual style of the original films. A just serviceable film would be a letdown because First Class with it's vibrant color pallet was kind of awesome.






The Fault In Our Stars (June 6)

This YA romance about two terminal cancer patients who manage to make each other's numbered days a little more bearable is based on a book of the same name by YA author and Internet personality John Green. He is known by much of the web as one half of the Vlogbrothers along with his brother Hank. I remember reading The Fault In Our Stars, or as fans often refer to it "TFiOS", sometime during ninth grade, but I don't remember any particular reactions to it.


Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (July 11)

I have fond memories of the first film in this reboot of Planet of The Apes. It's no classic, but I enjoyed it. How will this sequel work out? We will see.









Guardians Of The Galaxy (August 15)

Like I said earlier, I am biased in favor of Marvel Studios, and now they are doing something other than just action films. This is still an action film, but it looks like it will be much more comedic than their previous output. It also looks quite weird. However it turns out, the results should at least be a sight to see.






Like I stated above, The Giver and The Hobbit: There And Back Again do not have trailers out at the time I write this, when they do I will cover them separately.

Have a nice day.

Greg.B

P.S. I might be able to cover the Welcome To Night Vale live show, or more specifically the script being toured "The Librarian", it's coming to Texas this time. If it doesn't sell out by Friday, then I will be able to get into the show in Houston on March 15th. I'm kind of excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment