Translate

Monday, January 20, 2014

The Giver To Be Adapted Into A Movie

Alo Party Peoples.



This is something I find cool, I have stated before my love of the movie Pleasantville, but what I haven't stated is how oddly similar it is to The Giver by Lois Lowry. Many people in my relative age bracket, at least in the United States, will have read that book in middle school. Both deal with the introduction of new ideas such as violence, race, sexuality, and color (as in visible light), to a society that has absolutely no context for those ideas. However, while The Giver was a Dystopia novel focused on the introduction of these ideas to one person, Pleasantville deals with an entire society being exposed to these things, and goes into much less detail.

That is probably because text works better for big idea driven plots than visual mediums like television and film. Hence I find it intruiging that a film adaptation of The Giver is being made, it is due to be released in 2014. This was apparently announced in 2012, but I just now heard about it. Here is a link confirming this.

I am curious to see how this turns out. It is being directed by one Phillip Noyce, who has mostly done short films and docudramas before this. Jeff Bridges is playing The Giver, let's see what happens, This is going into my schedule.

Have a nice day.

Greg.B



No comments:

Post a Comment