Translate

Monday, April 28, 2014

Net Neutrality Might Be Dead

Alo Party Peoples.

This is going to be short because I need sleep. There's been a new development in the ongoing debate about net neutrality in the US. Net neutrality is the idea that internet service providers can't discriminate in regards to content they provide access to. A recent ruling by a federal court said that the FCC didn't have the authority to enforce this. I was concerned, but I hoped that we could sort it out.

Now, we kind of did. Good thing, ISPs can't ban lawful websites. Bad news, they can charge websites like say, Netflix or YouTube more for faster service. This has already happened with Netflix. Honestly, I'm a little sad. I don't want an Internet that's split up like that image. That is a less accessible web, a less open web, and freedom of information is very important to me. The rules are up for a vote on May 15th, and I urge you to contact the FCC and urge them to strike down what one Nash called "plain extortion" on the part of ISPs.

Have a nice day.

Greg.B

No comments:

Post a Comment