Translate

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters REVIEW

Uploaded August 19 2013

TRILOGY MONTH IS ON A HIATUS. BECAUSE I FINALLY SAW SEA OF MONSTERS AND IT HAPPEND TO TIME ITSELF NEAR POSTING DAY. 

ALSO SINCE I DISCUSS THE SOURCE MATERIAL AS WELL. SPOILER WARNING IS IN EFFECT. READ AHEAD AT YOUR OWN RISK.

TRILOGY MONTH WILL RESUME NEXT WEEK.


Alo Party Peoples.

I finally saw Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters. It was okay. As my dad said "it's exactly like a Disney show". And I felt that it had the tone and feeling of the fourth Harry Potter movie. 

It is a very CGI driven movie. But in it's favor, said CGI looks great. Especially the movie version of Kronos. People who, like me, have read the books, this like the first film takes a lot of liberties with the source material. So Kronos shows up here, because Luke succeeds in getting the Golden Fleece to him. And Riptide can apparently kill Titans now. Because Riptide is apparently forged by Posideon and also the cursed blade of the Prophecy. Maybe.

I do wonder if the filmmakers were adapting the CliffNotes version of this. Because it feels a bit rushed. Considering my dad's quote above I think they might have been appealing to that audience. And it does feel like Goblet of Fire, but it is assuredly a better film than That Which Must Not Be Seen. 



Overall I'm disappointed, but not crushingly so. We probably won't get a movie version of The Titans Curse. And no the Party Ponies don't show up. I do recommend the books though they are great.

Overall Rating: C-


Hats off to all and have a nice day.

   Greg.B





1 comment:

  1. Following your Harry Potter vibe, I'm with you that the movies compare poorly in every way ... great movies (even CGI-fests) are always about relationships and there are none here to compare with Ron and Hermione or even Draco. The "teachers" don't even need to be there, no Dumbledore or McGonnagal here. Disney Channel indeed, only missing the laugh track ... I'll take your word that the books are better ...

    ReplyDelete